You know education matters and what it can do for someone’s life. Think of what a Master of Education degree can do for yours.
First, you'll build your teaching skills and learn how to critically evaluate education practice. But you'll also work in a specific concentration that focuses on what you want to learn and prepares you for advanced certification. You can study one concentration or more if you'd like:
Reading Specialist and Writing
As a Reading Specialist, you'll learn the foundations of reading and how to diagnose and fix reading difficulties. Then turn that knowledge into ways to engage stalled readers to develop their literacy skills.
Second Language Education and Culture
Understand the cultural issues for non-English speakers of different ages. We’ll teach you the importance of communication across cultures – and you’ll learn how to transform a classroom with it.
|View degree plans|
In the fall and spring term, classes are held once weekly and are available Monday through Thursday from 5 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. and Saturdays in the morning or afternoon sessions. In the summer, we offer two condensed sessions with classes meeting four days a week, Monday through Thursday during daytime hours.
All applicants must have evidence that they possess the intellectual, professional and social qualities necessary for successful completion of the program. Applicants must also meet the following requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university with one of the following:
- Note: If your degree is in a field other than education, you may have to take 0-9 hours of undergraduate courses or be alternatively certified by the State of Texas.
- 1-2 years of teaching experience recommended but not required
- One of the following for automatic admission:
- 3.0 Cumulative GPA
- 3.0 GPA in last 60 hours
- 3.0 Masters GPA
- 290 GRE Score
If you do not meet the initial requirements:
- In order to be considered for conditional admission, you'll be asked to write a statement to the admissions committee detailing why you do not meet the current requirements and what steps you plan to take to be a successful student in the M.Ed. program
|||See Full Catalog Requirements|
The Master of Education program has a rolling deadline. Contact your counselor for more information.
|||How do I apply?|