Table tennis team brings home four national championships!
After all was said and done at the 2018 iSET College Table Tennis National Championships, Texas Wesleyan University came away with four more titles for the trophy case. The Rams won National Championships in the Women's Team, Women's Singles, Men's Doubles and Women's Doubles events.
On Sunday, Yue Wu became the 8th Lady Ram to win the women's singles national championship, and the first since Sara Hazinski in 2011, after topping top-seeded Lily Zhang of Cal in six sets. Cal and Texas Wesleyan each put a pair of athletes into the semifinal round. Zhang defeated Texas Wesleyan's Wenting Zha while Wu got by Cal's Angela Guan.
In Men's Singles, upsets were the order of the day as only one of the top-4 seeds reached the semifinals. Seventh-seeded Jishan Liang advanced to the final after knocking out the top-seed, Kaden Xu of Pillar College, in the quarterfinals. However, Liang was upset by eighth-seeded Kai Zhang of Binghamton who erased a 0-2 deficit in the championship match.
The Women's Doubles final was an all-Wesleyan affair in which Yue Wu and Wenting Zha defeated teammates Ana Aleksandric and Edina Haracic 3-0. The Lady Rams had three of the final four teams as Chen Wang and Tina Huynh reached the semis as well.
In Men's Doubles, 2017 Champion Zhe Feng and 2016 Champion Bruno Ventura Dos Anjos teamed up to take Texas Wesleyan's 11th title in the event. Feng and Ventura Dos Anjos dropped the first set to NYU's Adar Alguetti and Yijun Feng, but came back to win 3-1, avenging a loss in the deciding doubles competition of the Coed Team competition.
Team titles were decided on Saturday at the Round Rock Sports Center. The Lady Rams took their 8th National Championship by defeating Cal in the final. In the Coed Team event 5th seeded NYU, the Cinderella story of the tournament, topped the Rams 3-2 in the final.
- Texas Wesleyan has won 69 National Championships in Table Tennis since the program's inception in 2002 including 13 Coed Teams titles, 8 Women's Team titles, 11 Men's Singles titles, 8 Women's Singles titles, 11 Men's Doubles titles, 10 Women's Doubles titles, and 8 Mixed Doubles titles
- The doubles titles were the second for Zhe Feng (2017), Bruno Ventura Dos Anjos (2016) and Yue Wu (2017)
- Texas Wesleyan has never failed to reach the final of the Coed Team event
2018 iSET College Table Tennis National Champions
- Coed Team - NYU
- Women's Team - Texas Wesleyan
- Women's Singles - Yue Wu (Texas Wesleyan)
- Men's Singles - Kai Zhang (Binghamton)
- Women's Doubles - Yue Wu, Wenting Zha (Texas Wesleyan)
- Men's Doubles - Zhe Feng, Bruno Ventura Dos Anjos* (Texas Wesleyan)