Active Shooter or Weapons on Campus
If you see an active shooter or hear gunshots, take safety and call 911 immediately (9-911 from an on-campus phone).
The police will notify campus security, and lockdown procedures will proceed as appropriate.
First option: Run.
- Leave all of your belongings.
- Evacuate no matter what.
- Help others escape if possible.
- Keep others out of the area.
Second option: Hide.
- If you are in an office, stay there.
- Secure or barricade the door and close all blinds.
- Silence your cell phone and turn off lights, etc.
- Stay away from windows and doors.
- Hide behind large objects.
Last option: Fight.
- Use makeshift weapons to defend yourself.
- Attempt to incapacitate the shooter.
When authorities arrive:
- Stay calm
- Follow instructions given
- Keep hands visible
Weapons on Campus
No weapons of any kind are permitted on campus.
If you see someone with a weapon or receive a message regarding someone with a weapon, report it to Campus Security (ext. 4911), any university employee or, if necessary, the police. You can make the report anonymously.
- Do not confront the suspect.
- Do not draw attention to the situation.
- Proceed to the nearest administrative office or send an email/text to a university employee.
- Describe the situation to a university employee. Include:
- Name and description of the suspect.
- Location of the suspect.
- Information about the weapon.