The Federal TRiO Programs are Federal outreach and student services programs designed to identify and provide services for individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds. Texas Wesleyan University is proud to host two of the eight TRiO Programs, which include the Upward Bound and the Upward Bound Math and Science Programs.
Upward Bound (UB) and Upward Bound Math and Science (UBMS) provide fundamental support to high school students in their preparation for college entrance. These programs provide opportunities for participants to succeed in their precollege performance and ultimately in their higher education pursuits. The goal of the Upward Bound (UB) and the Upward Bound Math and Science (UBMS) programs are to increase the rate at which participants complete secondary education and enroll in graduate from institutions of postsecondary education.
Year-round services provided by the Upward Bound and Upward Bound Math and Science Programs of Texas Wesleyan include:
- Instruction in mathematics, science, composition, literature, foreign languages and hands-on experience in laboratories, in computer facilities and at field sites
- Tutoring, counseling, mentoring, cultural enrichment, education services designed to improve financial and economic literacy of students.
- Activities that involve participants with opportunities to learn from mathematicians and scientists who are engaged in research on campus, or who are engaged in research or applied science at hospitals, governmental laboratories or other public and private agencies
- Activities that involve participants with graduate and undergraduate science and mathematics majors who may serve as tutors and counselors for participants
- A six-week summer instructional component that is designed to simulate a college-going experience that includes daily coursework and other activities