Skip to Content

SEP Frequently Asked Questions

Below are some of the most frequently asked questions about our Student Employment Program.

If there is a question that you have but do not see, please feel free to contact the Human Resources Department at 817-531-4403 or  

Is it easy to get into the Student Employment Program?

Once you become a student at Texas Wesleyan, becoming a part of the Student Employment Program is as easy as you make it. We provide the resources and tools needed to locate and apply for a position. 

We encourage every student interviewing for a position to take the opportunity seriously. If interviewing via phone, maintain a friendly, confident and enthusiastic tone. If interviewing in person, dress appropriately.

This may be your first job; therefore this could be your first lesson in employment. Apply for the jobs you are interested in — you are not limited to applying, only to accepting.

Please Note: Work-Study positions that have been posted are only for those who have been awarded work-study. Student assistant positions are open for every student. All students are encouraged to have only one position on campus if possible, and no more than 2 positions.  

If you need more information on a specific job posting, contact the department and ask for the SEP supervisor or Human Resources via email at We are always happy to assist.

Up to how many positions can I have on campus?

We highly encourage students to only apply for one position on campus. This will help the student to concentrate on academics, which is the top priority of students and supervisors here at TXWES.

Students may have more than one position if needed, but no more than two. Students who have multiple positions will need to make sure that they are not scheduled to go over your 20 hours allotted time per week, 40 hours per pay period. Please make sure to be in constant communication with your supervisors if you are a student with multiple positions. 

How many hours can I work each week?

Students are allowed to work a maximum of 20 hours per week. By limiting your hours to 20 per week, this allows you to ensure you are meeting your academic expectations, and allows Texas Wesleyan to give more students an opportunity to participate in student employment. 

Any hours over 20 hours per week must be approved by Human Resources prior before working them. The student's supervisor should be submitting all requests to Work-Study are not allowed to work over the 20 hour allotted time.

Am I eligible for work-study?

Work-Study is a need-based program for which you must qualify based on the results of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You can qualify for either Federal Work-Study or Texas College Work-Study.

The Federal Work-Study Program is a federal program, administered through the Department of Education, established to provide part-time jobs to undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. It’s available to full-time or part-time students. Federal Work-Study recipients must be eligible to apply for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and able to participate in Title IV Programs. Students may contact the Office of Financial Aid to determine eligibility and an award amount.

The Texas College Work-Study Program is a state program, administered through the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, established to provide part-time jobs to eligible students with financial need to enable them to attend public and private non-profit colleges in Texas. Students may contact the Office of Financial Aid to determine eligibility and an award amount.

The Office of Student Financial Planning determines a student’s eligibility for work-study and the amount awarded, which will be listed on your financial aid award letter. Not every student who receives need-based aid will receive a work-study award.

A work-study award does not guarantee a job on campus. Students must go through the employment process as listed above.

If you have questions about your eligibility, then you may contact the Financial Aid department at or call at 817-531-4242. 

Where can I get an electronic copy of the SEP Handbook?

Every student a part of the program will be receiving a copy of a SEP Handbook when you attend your SEP Orientation. 

Please view the electronic copy at any time here: Student Employment Program Handbook

This electronic version will always be the most up to date version. 




What forms are required in order to begin with the SEP?

When you first accept your SEP job on campus at Texas Wesleyan University and become a part of the program, you will be required to complete an Employment Packet. This packet contains your onboarding forms, offer letter, a Federal (IRS) W-4 Form and Employment Verification Form I-9.

  • Federal (IRS) Form W-4
    • The W-4 must be completed to assure Texas Wesleyan University, the employer, withholds the correct federal income tax from all employees regardless of status (faculty, staff or student employees).
  • Employment Verification Form I-9
    • The Form I-9 (Employment Verification Form) determines your eligibility status to work in the United States. In order to complete the I-9 process, all employees regardless of status (faculty, staff, or student employees) are required to present acceptable, original, genuine, unexpired documents providing identity and employment authorization prior to beginning work on campus. For additional information regarding the Form I-9 or a listing of acceptable documents please visit:

If you are a returning SEP employee, you will receive a new offer letter with your returning position. This offer letter must be returned to the Human Resources department before you are able to start working in your department.

Each student must be in good conduct standing to be an employee. Conduct records and academic integrity statuses are subject to review by the hiring manager and Human Resources.

Do I have to start as a freshman to be eligible?

No, you are not required to be a freshman in order to be eligible to be a part of the program. During your time as a student here at Texas Wesleyan, you can apply to be a part of the program.

All of our students have different needs, and therefore some students begin working their sophomore year, others their junior and some even start as a senior. Undergraduates and graduates are encouraged to be a part of the SEP. 

As long as you are enrolled as a student at Texas Wesleyan University, you are eligible! 

Do I have to attend Student Orientation when hired?

Yes! To make sure that you are receiving the full employment experience that the program has to offer, and to make sure that all student employees have been instructed on the Student Employment Program Handbook, Student Orientation is mandatory for students.

Once you have attended a Student Orientation, you will not have to attend another for your remaining time in the program.

Do I have to Direct Deposit?

Direct deposit is safe, simple and easy! 

All students are required to sign up for direct deposit in order to receive compensation. Don't have a banking account? We will issue you a banking card. 

You can sign up for direct deposit through Ramlink. Click on the direct deposit link or the self-service link. 

Any questions about direct deposit, banking account information, or general payroll questions can be directed to payroll by calling 817-531-4419 or emailing at

What areas offer employment?

There is a need for student employment all over the Texas Wesleyan campus within office settings, classrooms/labs, recreation areas, Student Life, tutoring, Admissions, etc.

Interested?  There is more than likely a position needing to be filled. Don’t be afraid to be creative as well; if you see a need, speak with the department supervisor or Dean. Sometimes it takes a visionary leader to help us recognize new and creative ways for service through the SEP. 

Are there job opportunities for international students?

International students are eligible for the Student Assistant positions per terms of their visas.

It is important for you to be aware that your student visa will have stipulations on how many hours you can work each week. Your visa requires compliance and must not be violated.

All international students must have a Social Security Card to be eligible to be a part of the program. If you do not have one, that is not a problem. We will work with you to get you started in the program as well as getting accepted to receive a social security card.


Is the SEP flexible with my schedule?

The hiring supervisors understand you are attending Texas Wesleyan to receive the best education you can. We are committed to ensuring you are able to complete your academic mission here on campus.

In order to successfully meet your mission and receive an experiential learning opportunity through the SEP, flexibility is understood. We simply ask that you keep your supervisor informed of your academic schedule so they can accommodate you to the best of their ability while maintaining their department staffing needs.

Under no circumstances are students permitted to work during class hours, even if the class has been canceled. 

I am needing to resign or I am about to graduate. What do I need to do?

We understand that life happens and there may be a time where you might need to take a step back from the program for whatever reason. When this happens, this is considered a voluntary resignation. All students must turn in a letter of resignation to their supervisors prior to their last day of work. This allows the Human Resources department to make sure that your information is updated in our system. We definitely hate to see you go, but we understand. You are always welcomed back into the program when and if you can return.

What if you are a part of the program and about to graduate? May the celebration bells ring! We are so proud of you! Not only are you graduating from Texas Wesleyan with your degree, but you are graduating with a set of skills that employers are looking for. A letter of resignation would also need to be given to your supervisor so that they may alert Human Resources and update your information in our system.

Need help writing a resignation letter? Speak to your supervisor or Career Services. They would both be glad to make sure that you are ending the program with one last piece of information — how to write a good resignation letter!

Can I get terminated from my position in the SEP?

Unfortunately, yes. 

Theft, falsification of timesheets, violation of policy, violation of the Student Employee Code of Conduct on the job or unsatisfactory job performance can lead to being terminated from the program. 

Supervisors are instructed to give verbal coaching first, written coaching second, and if the behavior continues or does not improve, they can determine to terminate. 

We want to make sure that all parties of the program will succeed. If you feel that the department you are currently in is not a good fit, contact Lindsay Trammell at to set up a consultation to discuss what steps we can take to keep you in the program. 

When is the last day that I can apply for a job?

The Student Employment Program is available throughout the year, but not all positions are.

Most supervisors look to fill their positions at the beginning of each semester.

Check the job board in mid-July for fall and at the beginning January for spring postings. Also, you can check out RamSpace for any positions that are needing to be filled.

Please login to PeopleAdmin to view current job positions to find the right fit for you.


Where can I get help with my resume?

Career Services can help you with anything from your resume to your interview, to your cover letter to resignation letter! They are here to ensure the present and future success of all of our students. 

Please take advantage of the services they have to offer. You will be happy you did!